Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Worth Less

I took my chemistry final this morning. It wasn’t that difficult. I’ll probably get an A or a B+ at the worst. I’m excited that my school work is over until this summer. I don’t have much to do for the rest of the week so I’m trying to figure out what I should do now. I’ll probably end up sprawled in front of the tv, watching Desperate Housewives but I could be doing something productive. We’re doing a gift exchange sort of thing between roommates for the end of the year and I’ve no idea what I’m going to get anybody. I was going to get Lori the cups that I gave her for her bridal shower but I wasn’t paying attention to the fact that I’d already have gotten her the cups. Now I’ve got to think of something else. I could do a general gift thing. If I was thinking, I would have been on top of things and made something at Potter’s but I wasn’t thinking and now its too late. I could still do something crafty, though, if I went to Michael’s and had a look around. I’m sure I could come up with something. Also, surprise baskets are my favorite thing ever, especially when they are well thought out. Maybe I will contemplate ideas for a gift basket for each of them. That would be really fun, plus I think it would be really fun to receive as well.

What do I know about each of my roommates? What can I get them that they will appreciate? Ashley likes bananas and doesn’t like vegetables. Amanda likes “ghetto” music and doesn’t like physical contact. Lori is getting married in July and hates the color red. Not a lot of help for a gift basket. Maybe I’ll cruise the mall and Wal-mart and Target and pick up odds and ends and make a fun surprise thing. That would be really fun. Socks. Socks are always fun, too. And a picture frame. But maybe not. Who knows what I’ll find.

The only thing I have left to do is my color critique tomorrow and AAR tomorrow evening. Thursday I’ve got two meals already planned (both senior meals) and Friday I’m moving home because there’s no time on Saturday to do it. I’m going to have much more free time than I think because even this afternoon, I’ve got nothing to do. Maybe I’ll go shopping for the surprise basket/bag/thing and see what I can find.

I’m slightly obsessed with a mug that Lori and I found at the Hallmark store in the mall. Its by a cartoon called Hoops and Yoyo and sings a song that some people might find annoying but I find intensely amusing. I’m tempted to buy it but I’m still slightly broke right now so probably I won’t, since its fifteen dollars and I can’t really afford to spend that much money on a coffee mug, plus books take priority over frivolous things. (Yes, I realize that books could also be considered frivolous but not to me. You should know that by now.)

I had several epiphanies yesterday. Most of them were involving chemistry problems of relatively low importance but the other was when I was praying my rosary, I prayed for God to bring me to the right guy, right now. Then I realized: I’m happy right now. I don’t need a guy. I’m just fine with where my life is right now. I’ve got friends and family, a purpose, and a means of achieving that purpose. The right guy will show up when he shows up and that isn’t right now. If it is right now, then it’s the right time and I’ll go with the flow. Since I haven’t met anyone and I doubt I’ll meet anyone here at Coe, I’m pretty sure now is not the right time. Besides, I’m going to be very busy from now on, with getting my CNA and OMT (oral medicine technician) and with classes so I’m not really going to have much time to focus on a social life, even less a boyfriend, especially if that boyfriend is as time-consuming as Alex was.

Caleb tried to convince me that living at home for the next few years is a bad idea. It didn’t work because his only argument was partying would be easier if I lived in Iowa City, where my friends are partying at. My argument is that its cheaper to live at home and I can always stay at friends houses, especially if Beth decides to live in Iowa City. I’m sure she’ll let me sleep at her place whenever I want to and it won’t be a big deal at all. He frustrates me sometimes. I think he’s getting too involved with the Russians (a very bad thing) because that’s all he seems to hang out with anymore. They keep horrible hours and are going to need liver transplants when they’re 30. Actually, they might be 30 now. I’ve no idea how old they are. But they are a bad influence. If they were good friends, they’d see the potential in Caleb and encourage him to take action that maximizes his potential instead of dragging him into the horrible things they do. I’m sure they’re find people but they don’t exactly live the most savory of lives and I don’t appreciate them dragging Caleb into it. It’s not good and will only end badly. You can’t spend your life partying. Why? I can’t say but I know that a) its not responsible and b) no one will respect you and c) what is the purpose of it? How can you live a life with no purpose? No goals? What is the point of life with no goals? What is existence without purpose and direction? Life needs a purpose, a goal, a direction, or else its worth less.

No comments:

Post a Comment