Monday, May 4, 2009

Stuff

I’ve got my chemistry final tomorrow morning and I can’t bring myself to study very much for it. I took the practice test and did alright (I passed it) so I’m hoping things will go okay in tomorrow’s test because I really can’t motivate myself to learn any more than what I’ve already absorbed. Plus, I’m really frustrated because there are two problems that I thought I knew how to do but I can’t seem to get the right answer. I’ll keep working on them throughout the day and hopefully I’ll get there. I know I’m on the right track and its probably some math something or other that’s got me getting the wrong answer. In theory, I know what should happen in both cases but knowing the theory and being able to do the problems is a little different. I must say, though, that the theory is probably going to be more useful than the plug and chug aspect.

I feel right now like I don’t have much stuff to move back home but I know when it comes to Friday and packing everything up, its suddenly going to seem like so much more. I’m probably going to need more than the two tubs and large suitcase I brought back from home but hopefully I can make everything fit. I’ve got enough random boxes that I can shove stuff into that it shouldn’t be as big of a deal as I think. I’m only worried about transporting my tv/dvd/stereo as I don’t want them to sit in a hot car for too long but I also don’t want to have to load them by myself. Adam is going to come over at 1pm so we can load his car with stuff. I completely forgot about my loveseat, though, and Ashley reminded me last night. This weekend is completely hectic for my family so I’m not really sure when a good time to pick up the loveseat would be. Maybe I’ll borrow Dad’s truck on Friday afternoon, before work and after Adam comes so that I can load it into his truck and he can drive it home. Hopefully it doesn’t rain. That would make my life so much more difficult. The seven day forecast last night said rain in the middle of the week but nothing on Friday or Saturday so it should work out okay to use the truck. Otherwise I’ll have to use the van and take the seats out of it and that’s just a hassle.

Caleb is coming over for lunch today and we’re going to watch a movie called Let the Right One In. Its some sort of vampire movie and its his new favorite movie. We’ll see how it goes. I’m excited because we’re going to have taco pizza. I think we’ll order it from Paul Revere’s and then I can get breadsticks! Their breadsticks are my absolute favorite and I would consider them the best breadsticks from a pizza place I’ve ever had. Olive Garden and Fazoli’s also have good breadsticks but theirs are Italian style and slightly different. Pizza place breadsticks have a different texture to them and Paul Revere’s is the best.

I’m going to try to get my Certified Nurses Assistant (CNA) this summer. It feels like the right thing to do, plus it will enable me to get a job in a hospital setting so I’ll have something to do between next year and the year I start med school. Mom talked to Nancy Upmeyer about it and she said I should get a job at a nursing home and then they’d pay for me to get my CNA which is good because its kind of expensive. I’m thinking I might do that instead of working at Pearson’s. A nursing home would be productive in getting me used to working in a health related field, even if indirectly. (By the way, how strange/cool is it that Bob Upmeyer, Nancy’s husband, works at the University of Iowa Financial Aid office and he helped me out the other day and now Nancy herself is helping me attain my future as well? I think its very interesting.) While a nursing home is not my ideal job, if they will pay for me to get my CNA then I can work at a nursing home. I’ll be honest, old people make me nervous but I need to get over that, especially if I’m going to be a doctor. A person’s a person no matter how old. I can work with them. They might be interesting. Especially since I’ve recently become fascinated with my grandparents lives before I knew them. Grandma Duck used to smoke in the church steeple with her girlfriends when she was in high school. I thought that was so interesting. She always seems like such a straight-laced woman, I would never have known that about her. Since I’ll be going to school in Iowa City, I plan to visit her much more often. Maybe I’ll pick an afternoon to visit with her, play cards, that sort of thing.

Books: I finished Child of the Holy Grail, which was the third in a series telling the story of Arthur, Guenevere, and Lancelot. I really enjoyed the series, though it was slow in the beginning. It was very complex and involved and I think stayed fairly true to the original idea of the legend. The same author wrote a series about Tristan and Isolde that I’m going to read so I’m looking forward to that. I’ve got several books to read between now and then however.

No comments:

Post a Comment