Saturday, May 23, 2009

Babies!

I quit my job at the restaurant. It was too stressful. I don’t want to work in a job that is more stressful than my school work. Its not worth it. I’d rather be broke and studying to get into Med school than stressed out from a job that pays decently. By decently I mean it doesn’t require a degree yet pays above minimum wage. I don’t know why, but now that I’ve quit, I’m petrified that something’s going to happen to me because of it. Its silly but I’m so scared that they are going to call and do something horrible to me. I’ve never quit like this before so that’s probably why but its extremely disconcerting.

The stress was not from the duties of the job but the people I work with. I shouldn’t have to work in an environment that scares me. I was so uncomfortable with most of the people (with the exception of one of the servers) that I just can’t see myself continuing to work there. I don’t want to surround myself with people like that. Maybe its my bible study rubbing off on me but I’m beginning to agree that the people you associate with influence who you are. I don’t want to be around people who don’t have the same values I do. I’m not saying you have to be Catholic in order to be my friend and associate but I’m saying that you have to have a respect for life and a respect for other people. Disrespect is one of my biggest pet peeves and though I know I’m guilty of it at times, I always try to be as respectful as I possibly can be. However, a blatant disrespect for life I cannot tolerate. For instance, one of the servers at the restaurant is pregnant and was talking about drinking while she’s pregnant. That is extremely disrespectful in my opinion. She is being disrespectful to the life she is carrying. I didn’t know what to say. I feel like if I say nothing, I’m condoning that kind of behavior yet if I say something she’ll get upset with me and I have to work with her, well I used to have to work with her. I made some comments regarding the development of her baby (9 weeks- heart starts beating, 10 weeks – toes are formed) and hoped that she would get the idea and either stop talking about it to me or stop drinking. Hopefully she stops drinking.

I guess a part of my objection to her behavior is because I’m so looking forward to having children of my own that I can’t imagine anyone doing anything to jeopardize that. It boggles my mind that people couldn’t care less about their pregnancy. I would be so ecstatic to be pregnant that I would be so scared of doing things wrong. I was talking to a speech therapist and she said that drinking when you’re pregnant is one of the biggest contributing causes to her students. She teaches kids to talk who have speech development issues. Knowing that, how could I drink when I’m pregnant? I realize not everyone knows that little fact but lots of people do know that its detrimental to the development of the fetus. It only makes sense. Its common knowledge that drinking kills brain cells in adults. So if you’re pregnant and you’re drinking, wouldn’t it make sense that alcohol would affect the development of the baby in your belly? Your blood is their blood for several months, pretty much until the end. Your food is their food. If you eat something healthy, they get the nutrients too. If you eat junk food, they eat junk food too. Would you feed a baby a rum and coke? A beer? No, so why do it while they are in your belly? Can’t you make the sacrifice of being alcohol free for nine months? And if you’re a heavy drinker and didn’t know you were pregnant until a month or two after conception its only seven or eight months. Is that too much to ask for your baby?

On other subjects, I finished the book I wanted to finish. I finished it while I was at Potters and still had two and a half hours of work left. I ended up cleaning lots of different things. I swept the floor. I cleaned the paint shelf. I wiped down the paint bottles. I washed stamps. Right before four o’clock, when I was going to leave because it was dead, we got a shipment in so I started un-packing things. Then at 4:15 a little boy and his aunt/sister (I’m not sure which) came in and wanted to paint. I agreed because I was going to be unpacking boxes anyway as long as they got out of there before five. They did. They painted a plaque for his mom’s birthday. It was really sweet. I’m so glad I’m not quitting Potters. I really like working there. I would have missed it a lot if I stopped working there.

No comments:

Post a Comment